Friday, January 13, 2012

Personal Style & YOU...

This year, instead of the usual New Year's resolutions...you know...lose weight, exercise, get in shape, etc...I've decided to bring more style into my life. I'm documenting that quest for style in my blog Food+Clothing+Shelter.

Here is an excerpt...

Style? What does that mean? Well, there are endless varieties, and everyone has some type of style…no, really they do. But the kind of style I’m referring to heralds back to a time when life was kinder…gentler…more gracious…more graceful…more…well…stylish.

No, I’m not sinking into a sad, wistful…and futile… state of longing for days gone by. I have no intention of rejecting technology and modern conveniences. And I’m not trying to be pompous, pretentious, or snobbish. My quest for style has nothing to do with money, exclusivity, denial, or keeping up with the Jones’s. It has more to do with personal satisfaction and quality of life.


A huge part of style is personal style. The way we dress, and pull ourselves together everyday, is a uniquely individual process, and a clear indicator of our style. We all have a style - developed through the years by our preferences, and by trial and error. We learn what looks good on our bodies, how much time and money we want to dedicate to clothing, toiletries, cosmetics, etc., and we decide what looks and feels right for us.

I posted a blurb on the Gray and Proud Page earlier this month, asking you all to share with the group the things that define your personal style. Writing a description of your own personal style is fun, and often reveals as much about yourself to you as it does to others.

I'll begin with mine...from Food+Clothing+Shelter...

My own personal style is identifiable, but perhaps a tad lazy. There are days when I’m pulled together, and others when I’m schlepping through the mall in sweats and flip-flops. I wear a lot of black…it goes with everything, and requires very little pre-planning. I prefer “wash and wear.“ I don’t iron, so most of my clothes are stretchy…or wrinkled.:) I like black jeans too. My hair is long and zero maintenance. I don’t dye, and I blow dry on the way to work with the car windows rolled down. I don’t wear a lot of makeup, but I usually wear mascara, blush, and lipstick. I like to be comfortable…maybe a little too comfortable…

How would you describe your personal style? If you'd like to share with us what makes you...YOU...send your blurb to planet_carol@hotmail.com...or to my FB message box, and I'll post it on Silver Foxes.

Have a stylish day!

C

3 comments:

  1. Hi Carol. Since I decided to go grey I have somehow felt more feminine than ever before. With this new feeling comes a want to exercise, be healthy and dress nicely. I was unsure of my style so I bought a book "Staging your comeback" by Christopher Hopkins. The book takes you through a series of questions to find your style and your body shape. It turns our I fit in to the Romantic category with a shadow of Alluring so I am looking forward to trying my new style. Have a fun day! Kama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kama ~ I'll have to get the book...it sounds interesting and fun! Let me know if you'd like to chronicle your "comeback" for Silver Foxes! Thanks for your comment! C

      Delete
  2. Hmmmm...this is interesting. I've always wondered if there was anything out there for ladies that want 'aging gracefully' idea and comments that uplift. I guess I haven't looked hard enough. Rosa

    ReplyDelete